Diasporic Visions: A Celebration of Black Speculative Fiction
A Call For Papers for the 2023 National Black
Writers Conference Biennial Symposium
The Center for Black Literature at Medgar Evers College, CUNY will present the 2023 National Black Writers Conference Biennial Symposium from March 31 to April 1, 2023. The theme is Diasporic Visions: A Celebration of Black Speculative Fiction. The Symposium will provide an engaging, interactive forum for Black speculative fiction writers, readers, and scholars to discuss the history, current state and themes, and emerging scholarship on the genre.
Students, cultural critics, readers, writers, literary activists, and scholars are encouraged to submit proposals on papers that examine one of the following themes:
• Narratives of Black speculative fiction in print and film.
• Speculative fiction centered on Africa as the background or setting.
• Fiction, nonfiction, and poetry related to Sheree Renée Thomas, a best-selling and award-winning writer, poet, and editor whose work is inspired by myth and folklore, natural science, and Mississippi Delta conjure. Thomas is the confirmed honoree for the Symposium in 2023.
If the proposal is accepted, applicants must confirm their participation and be prepared to present, virtually, on Friday, March 31, 2023 (11:00 am to 3:30 pm ET).
INSTRUCTIONS and FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Please submit an abstract/proposal of 300–500 words, a list of related references, and the thesis or question you plan to explore. DO NOT SEND MANUSCRIPTS. Submissions must be original and should not have been published previously or be under consideration for publication while being evaluated for this event. Submissions must also include:
1. Full professional name, email address, and best phone number on the title page.
2. Title of the proposed talk.
3. Institutional affiliation.
4. Academic short bio of no more than 50 words (this is a strict word count).
HOW DO I SUBMIT and WHEN IS THE DEADLINE?
Please email materials to email@example.com. In the subject heading, include your full name and “Call for Papers Diasporic Visions 2023.” The deadline is Monday, January 9, 2023.
WHEN WILL APPLICANTS BE NOTIFIED?
Acceptance announcements will be emailed by February 10, 2023.
WHAT IF I HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS? Please contact Clarence V. Reynolds, director of literary programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Also, please visit www.CenterForBlackLiterature.org.