The Doctoral and Graduate Students’ Council (DSC) seeks candidates for the open position of Editor-in-Chief of The Graduate Center’s sole student newspaper, the Advocate. The Editor-in-Chief shall determine editorial policies while respecting the following priority: the Advocate shall primarily serve CUNY graduate students as a source of news and information pertaining to their rights and educational, cultural, and professional interests. The Editor-in-Chief determines editorial policy independently.
The new Editor-in-Chief position will begin September 2018. The Editor-in-Chief will be paid upon the publication of each issue of the paper. The rate of pay is equal to one- twelfth of the minimum salary for the title of Graduate Assistant B per issue (approximately $980/issue for six issues per academic year). In addition, the new Editor-in-Chief will be provided with office space and a budget to pay article contributors and buy supplies.
Applicants must be matriculated Graduate Center students in good standing and highly capable of independent work. In addition to other duties related to running a successful newspaper, the Editor-in-Chief shall be responsible for:
- hiring associate editors, freelance writers, photographers, and consultants;
- collaborating with associate editors and freelance writers, as well as the DSC Co-Chair for Business and the paper’s printers;
- ensuring the general content, production schedule, and fiscal well-being of the newspaper;
- producing a minimum number of issues in accordance with the operating budget;
- maintaining the Advocate website;
- ensuring distribution to CUNY graduate students; and
- ensuring meetings of the Advocate Advisory Board.
Candidates must forward CVs and cover letters to Alison Parks, DSC Co-Chair for Student Affairs at (firstname.lastname@example.org) by September 7, 2018.