Dear CUNY Academy members and friends,
Please ask your colleagues to take advantage of CUNY Academy travel programs for F/T Assistant.
Please come to our March and April, 2018 “CUNY Academy for the Humanities and Sciences” Events:
- The Enclave Literary Series – Presentation of Enclave N.6, Friday, March 9, 2018, in the Graduate Center, Room 8301 from 6:00 to 8:00 PM. Authors and artists included in the Enclave magazine will share their works with the audience. Inmaculada Lara-Bonilla, Jacqueline Herranz-Brooks and Claudia Salazar Jiménez, writers and CUNY professors, will read from their poetry and fiction. Artist Rocío Inès Marsyas will talk about her jewelry pieces, which illustrate several texts. This event is hosted by Professors Nora Glickman and Alejandro Varderi.
- “Out of Bounds: Female Spectacle in the Shakespearean City” presented by Professor Cristine Varholy from Hampden-Sydney College. Thursday, March 15, 2018, in the Graduate Center, Room 9205, from 6:00 – 8:00 PM.The event is cosponsored by The Center for the Study of Women & Society.
- The 38th Annual Arthur Sweeny Jr. Memorial Lecture – “Seven Transmembrane Receptors” will be presented by Robert J. Lefkowitz, Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2012, from Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Duke University Medical Center, on March 16, 2018. The lecture will be in the Music Building, Room 306 at 1:30-3:00 PM followed by an Alumni Reception which will take place in the Lehman College Art Gallery at 3:00-4:15 P.M. A dinner (reservations and payments are mandatory) will follow at 5:00 PM. This event is organized by Prof. Andrei Jitianu. Co-sponsored by the Sweeny Lecture Fund, by Lehman’s School of Natural and Social Sciences, and by the Lehman College Office of Alumni Relations.
- The Enclave Literary Series – Spain in New York: Iberian Literary Creation in the Big Apple, Friday, April 9, 2018, in the Graduate Center, Room 8402 from 6:00 to 8:00 PM. A reading of poetry and fiction by Spanish writers who reside in New York City. The authors will also talk about their personal experiences living between the cultures of Spain and the United States, and of how their writings have been influenced by the energy of the Big Apple. Gerardo Piña-Rosales CUNY professor and President of the Spanish Royal Academy of Languages in its American Chapter, Marta López-Luaces from Montclair University and Pedro Larrea Rubio from Lycnhburg College, will share their creative writings with the audience. This event is hosted by Professors Nora Glickman and Alejandro Varderi.
- “Family Matters: Gendering the Labor of Early Modern Science” presented by Professor Alix Cooper from SUNY-Stony Brook. Thursday, April 19, 2018, in the Graduate Center, Room 9205, from 6:00 – 8:00 PM.The event is cosponsored by The Center for the Study of Women & Society. This event is hosted by Professor Susan O’Malley.
- Eisenstadt Lecture – “Herbert H. Lehman: A Man of Conscience in the Political Arena” presented by Professor Duane Tananbaum. Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in the Graduate Center, Room 8301, from 6:30 – 8:30 PM. This event is hosted by Professor Manfred Philipp.