The Graduate Center is allowed to nominate up to three students for the Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fellowship.
The Graduate Center’s internal deadline is Thursday, January 3, 2019, 5pm. Students who wish to be considered must submit a completed application (along with supporting materials) to Rachel Sponzo in the Office of the Provost (Room 8113). Students should submit the application and supporting documents in hard copy (single-sided, no staples), along with sealed copies of reference letters and transcripts. The applications will be reviewed by the Graduate Center to determine which three will be forwarded to the Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund for the national competition.
Below are the general guidelines. Attached is the complete application.
If you have questions, please contact Rachel Sponzo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
_______________________________________________________Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund – Conditions for 2019-2020
- Fellowships are available to students who are currently enrolled in and pursuing a graduate degree at a designated institution of higher learning located in the United States of America. Undergraduate students are no longer qualified candidates.
- The program of study being pursued by the candidate may include any recognized field of study in the humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences (including law, medicine, engineering, architecture or other formal professional training). The selection committee has a strong preference for supporting scholarly endeavors.
- The candidate must have received a baccalaureate degree at the time of application and have an outstanding undergraduate record.
- The candidate must demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- The candidate must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- The candidate may be of any national descent or background.
- The amount of each Fellowship will cover actual tuition costs plus an $18,000 annual stipend to be allocated towards room, board and ordinary living expenses, as well as any income taxes thereon.
- The recipient of a Fellowship shall be known as a Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fellow.
- Fellowships are awarded annually. Each Fellow MUST APPLY FOR A RENEWAL of his or her fellowship by March 30 of the following year in accordance with the terms in effect at the time the fellowship is awarded. (No reminder will be sent.) Fellowships will be limited to a maximum of three years.
- Awarded fellowships may not be deferred.
- A Fellowship may be canceled at any time if a Fellow engages in misconduct affecting the Fund, breaches any of these rules or provides false information to the Fund either directly or indirectly.
The Will of Dolores Zohrab Liebmann created a perpetual charitable trust designated as “The Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund” for the purpose of funding advanced education and graduate study grants, which must be carried out entirely in the United States of America. The Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fellowships are to be awarded only to candidates who have outstanding undergraduate records, have demonstrated a need for financial assistance, are citizens of the United States of America, are enrolled in accredited colleges and universities in the United States and have received baccalaureate degrees.
Mrs. Liebmann was the daughter of a prominent Armenian intellectual, writer and statesman and was married to one of the owners of a successful American business. She supported students and educational and charitable organizations during her lifetime. Mrs. Liebmann’s primary concern, as expressed in her Will, was to attract and support students with outstanding character and ability who hold promise for achievement and distinction in their chosen fields of study. The trustees welcome applications from students of all national origins who are United States citizens.
The amount of each Fellowship will cover the cost of tuition and a stipend to be allocated towards room, board, living expenses and income taxes. The Trustee has set the stipend at $18,000 for this year. The procedures governing the granting of the awards are detailed in the attached application.
DZL Application checklist for Student