The Columbia University East Asia National Resource Center for the expansion of the study of the languages and culture of East Asia is making one Foreign Language Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS) summer grant for the study of Chinese language available to eligible CUNY students. Applications are due by February 17, 2017.
Summer FLAS fellowships are intended to help students gain the equivalent of a year’s worth of college-level study in the language. They support students enrolled in formal overseas programs of intensive language study at 3rd year level or above.
The summer FLAS Fellowship provides:
- A tuition grant up to $5,000
- A $2,500 stipend
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents only
- Must enroll in Columbia’s FLAS approved summer Chinese language program in Beijing.
- Both graduate & undergraduate students must be at the intermediate or advanced level of the language (3rd year level or above)
- All students can apply here (you will be asked to create an account).
- Academic excellence
- Commitment to the language, and using it as part of your long-term academic or professional career goals
Applications must include the following items:
- Completed online application form through Columbia’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences’ (GSAS) website
- A one or two page statement of purpose, describing your academic purpose, the role of the proposed language, and how you intend to use the language. Describe how the language and area study will relate to your educational and career goals. Also indicate previous language experience, both formal and informal.
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from instructors who can comment on your work in the target language and appropriate world area. GSAS prefers that recommenders submit their letters of recommendation electronically to expedite processing. When the applicant enters the name and email of recommenders, the recommenders will automatically receive a letter with a link with the upload information
- Academic transcripts
For further information contact: Jamie Tan (email@example.com), Student Affairs Officer at Weatherhead East Asian Institute, Columbia University.